View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #22
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
To me, Frodo's character in the books is all about his SUFFERING.
Well, that's certainly an interesting take. Can Frodo's character and journey finally be summed up as endurance of suffering and pain?

This is an important topic because it goes to the heart of an adaptation and its success or failure. Frodo is the principal character of LotR; it would thus seem essential that the essence of his character and his journey be preserved in an adaptation.

I don't think it's only Frodo's suffering that makes him heroic. And I do think that his resistance to Evil, though ultimately not enough to overcome it, is an important step in his sanctification. Frodo comes to understand grace because he resists and then is pushed beyond his breaking point.

And anyway I guess I just hate to see Frodo so passive because that's not the Frodo I know. Frodo suffers mainly because of the choices he makes, not just because he happens to find himself in painful situations. Frodo, to me, is more about sacrifice than suffering per se.

Quote:
to slow it down (ie have aragorn talking about the sword / nazgul cloak / elbereth's name etc) would have meant slowing the film down before arwen's chase scene.
Still not sure why you're convinced we'd need an extended explanation here. Aragorn's dialogue in the book is three sentences. I'm sure this could be compressed for film into a line or two. Are you really convinced that two lines of dialogue would bring the film's pace to a halt? I disagree.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote