View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Sting Major Themes in ME--for a Thesis

Hiya! Semi-newbie here. I've been an avid reader of LOTR and the like since, oh, eighth grade. Got a quick question for you guys.

I'm writing an Honors Thesis on Illustrations of Major Themes in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-Earth (working title--work with me here!). I've got three so far, but my advisor for this paper suggested I pick six or seven. Here's what I got:

1. Good vs. Evil (I think this is fairly obvious)

2. Live and death (in regards to the Elves dodging death and running from Middle-Earth instead of facing up to their fears and fighting)

3. Destruction and rebirth (i.e. the destruction of the Shire--or rather, the scouring of the Shire--and how Sam helped rebirth it, for example, with the soil Galadriel gave him)

This paper is going to probably end up being complex. I need about three or four more major themes, so I thought I'd come to you guys and get your opinions. I'd like to have at least one symbolically related major theme and at least one psychologically related one. Any ideas? (And if I'm wrong about any of the above, or if you have a suggestion for something I can use for the topics listed above, that would also be most appreciated.) Anything you can think of will be helpful (and I'll give everyone full credit in a thank-you's page at the end of the thesis!)

Thanks!
Leyrana Silumiel

Edit: Maybe I should mention that these should be in the frame of LOTR, Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the Histories of the Lord of the Rings (that's books 6, 7, and 8, with a little bit of 9 from the HoME). Thanks! (And eventually, I'll be getting Letters of JRR Tolkien, so if anyone can point me to a particular letter or anything, that'll be helpful.)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:13 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: Leyrana Silumiel ]
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote