View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #39
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
'All is well,' said Aragorn, turning back. 'Here are some of my own kin from the far land where I dwelt. But why they come, and how many they be, Halbarad shall tell us.'

'I have thirty with me,' said Halbarad. 'That is all of our kindred that could be gathered in haste; but the brethren Elladan and Elrohir have ridden with us, desiring to go to the war. We rode as swiftly as we might when your summons came.'

'But I did not summon you,' said Aragorn, 'save only in wish. My thoughts have often turned to you, and seldom more than tonight; yet I have sent no word.
Here I get the sense that many are looking out for Aragorn, prepared to give him help where he did not seek it or ask for it, but where others can see it is needed. At first it seems Aragorn has summoned his kindred himself, but it appears they have been brought here at the instigation of Galadriel. As an aside, it is still possible that she had read Aragorn's 'wishes' in the field; he would have had considerable powers of osanwe having lived amongst the Elves, but I would assume Galdriel had greater such skills and he could not block his mind to her, even if he wished.

Yet Aragorn has not asked for his kindred to ride to him, it has been done on his behalf. This throws into relief Gandalf's parting words about the Palantir. He has acted as a mentor to Aragorn, it also appears that Galadriel and Elrond are doing the same. The ways of Elves and Men may have parted, but in some cases they clearly have not.

Quote:
'I bring word to you from my father: The days are short. If thou art in haste, remember the Paths of the Dead.'
'Always my days have seemed to me too short to achieve my desire,' answered Aragorn. 'But great indeed will be my haste ere I take that road.'
'That will soon be seen,' said Elrohir. 'But let us speak no more of these things upon the open road!'
Even Elladan and Elrohir seem 'in' on the higher powers which are hoping to guide Aragorn. They do not only bring a message to him but when Aragorn expresses his doubts, they dismiss them. Is there anything wrong in the actions of the Elves in guiding Aragorn to such a great extent? Here we have a Man with the greatest potential of his time, and yet the Elves are giving him much more than strategic guidance.

However, in this chapter we also get to see Aragorn's growing self assurance:

Quote:
You forget to whom you speak,' said Aragorn sternly, and his eyes glinted. 'What did you fear that I should say to him? Did I not openly proclaim my title before the doors of Edoras? Nay, Gimli,' he said in a softer voice, and the grimness left his face, and he looked like one who has laboured in sleepless pain for many nights. 'Nay, my friends, I am the lawful master of the Stone, and I had both the right and the strength to use it, or so I judged. The right cannot be doubted. The strength was enough--barely.'
When he speaks to Gimli here at first he is harsh, even boastful, and he brings up the mistake he almost made at Edoras. These are hints of the older Aragorn who is now slowly changing into the kingly Man he will become. Maybe it is the renewed influence of the familiar Dunedain which causes him to slip back into his old manner for a moment? But his arrogance soon falls away again and he states the facts as he saw them, that he was entitled to use the Palantir, and he emphasises just how difficult it was for him to use it. He shows that the experience has humbled him.

Quote:
'If you would understand them better, then I bid you come with me,' said Aragorn; 'for that way I now shall take. But I do not go gladly; only need drives me. Therefore, only of your free will would I have you come, for you will find both toil and great fear, and maybe worse.'
Aragorn now makes the first use of this leadership tactic, offering the chance to turn down a mission, just as he does on the way to the Black Gate. This also shows his growing confidence. He is assured that Legolas and Gimli are his friends and would not think of turning aside, and he is confident enough to make it so that they would also find it hard to refuse in any case.

Quote:
Bells were ringing far below, and all men fled before the face of Aragorn; but the Grey Company in their haste rode like hunters, until their horses were stumbling with weariness. And thus, just ere midnight, and in a darkness as black as the caverns in the mountains, they came at last to the Hill of Erech.
What I want to know is what would have happened to the Grey Company if they had not reached the Stone of Erech before midnight?