View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

arathorn has just left Hobbiton.
Do you really see everyone on the web always posting any and all counter arguments about a given matter, simply because they know some other argument (or arguments) exist(s)?

I though that after all we have been through you at least recognize another possibility that wouldn't leave contradiction and that it has very strong arguments that could prove this (until now I haven't seen anyone who couldn't actually see my possibility or at least see dubious interpretation except you of course).

That opinion arises from your interpretation in the first place ('match perfectly' for example). I don't write the texts: if I see something I think contradicts something else, I'll note it. Maybe.

It's my opinion but if I'm right what would be the height of the race in which their shortest are 6'6''? about 7' (since Tolkien never gives a really exact height). But like I said the point isn't that but the fact that nothing supports your last interpretation.

Yet you haven't proven one is later than the other however. If you can I would love to know myself.

I said to forget that since independent of the date both says the same thing(tome of course).

As I guessed you're jumping to conclusions about what this 'means'. Hammond and Scull noted that they and CJRT were reluctant to publish these late notes, in context, while Pauline Baynes was still alive...

... because Tolkien was not happy with these particular illustrations.

CJRT published some of them in UT (without the explanation that they were, in part, Tolkien's reaction to the artwork of P. Baynes). Now there is more from J. Rateliff and Hammond and Scull, with the fuller, external context explained, as the artist has passed on.

I was saying that Chris already "posted" a lot about Eldar height so why didn't he posted that? Or do you think he never saw that passage?

That's not how I would characterize what I prefer to do

" I don't write the texts: if I see something I think contradicts something else, I'll note it" that was said by you and pretty much proves what I was talking about
arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote