View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #44
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Child, your post re jackson's visualisation:
Quote:
I did, for example, find his depiction of the Shire quite enchanting. I only wish the Grey Havens would have lived up to that
What exactly did you see wrong with jackson's visualisation? I thought, like the music at this point, it was marvellously understated. We could have had some real tearjerking material both with music and speech, but like Tolkien does, he keeps it to a bare minimum.

Or do you have a problem with the 'style' of the grey havens. I would say a harbour is a harbour. Does it really matter what it looks like? In my visulation, for some reason I always saw the grey havens in my mind's eye as a jetty on a beach. Jackson's was somewhat more grander, but I do not mind this. I think the havens look beautiful and melancholy.

A second point on another post re your problem with character and plot. Where does Jackson deviate from the plot to its detriment? Yes, we have aragorn 'dying' and the hobbits taking a detour to osgiliath that I don't agree with, but the journey remains the same, and the plot (mainly) is not different from the book.

ring found, ring goes on a journey, descision taken, ring taken south, frodo runs off with sam, the rest go their seperate ways, rohan saved, minas tirith sacked, treachery of gollum, spider dies, witch king defeated by hobbit and woman, victory on pellenor field, frodo taken by the Enemy, Frodo saved by Sam, King fights at the black gate, hobbits climb up mountain, Frodo assumes control of ring, Frodo's finger's bitten off, ring destroyed, hobbits honoured, king crowned, hobbits go home, ring bearers head West.

ok, so we don't have old forest, tom, barrows and scouring, but these are no as much plot changes as deletions!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote