View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #42
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I have really been asked to stick to Tolkien in this thread... But, I think I will.

Shortly on Richard the III at Bosworth. His counterpart thought he needed a local noble, Lord Stanley who had sworn allegiance to them both, to win the battle. His army stood right by the others. Since Tudor didn't lead his forces personally, he rode with his entire guard of knights to Stanley. Richard saw that and with his only cavalry reserve, his own personal force of 800 knights he charged down upon Tudor, bearing down upon him before he ahd reached Stanley. He did so because he ahd too, when his guard rode he couldn't leave it as he personally commanded it and needed it to slay Tudor. At this moment, Lord Stanley decided to save Tudor that in fact was his step-son. He charged with his knights in the back of Richard's guard and obliterated it, whereafter he fell. Ricahrd went into battle because he had too, but he saw no risk, attacking 200 knights in their flank with 800 should be a piece of cake, he thougth Stanley was on his side. Stanley's son was a hostage, to be killed if the old man betrayed the King. Stanley's comment is said to have been: "I have plenty of sons!" Yes, bravery is something praiseworthy, especially for the individual soldier. But it comes with a risk, you can gamble with your own life, that is up to you, but he shouldn't have gamled with his men's lives, or Gondor itself, no?

Gondor's situation was, indeed, ot do or die, but what cpuld he possibly do? If he there could appreciate the realities of the campaign, could he not do that with a clearer view 50 yards behind it? There, he would be free to send couriers with commands, be seen by anybody that turned around, and see all of his troops. He was no giant, he could not see above the men next to him. If he even had time to look to the sides, that is, he struggled to save himself, as all men in battle. His skills in action cannot be worth the risk taken if he would be die. No man can alone make that difference only through fighting personally, especially when the numbers of emn are so vast. He was needed to keep his men together, but how much do you think the men 100 or even 30 yards away saw of him? Surely, he boosted morale among the men next to him, but none else would have noticed he fought there, nor would he have noticed the changes on other parts of the line that though it cannot have been long, must have been long enough to prevent immediate surrounding. Being valiant is in itself not admirable, only for a cause, and when we weigh the risks against the possible benefits, I think it is quite clear that fighting at least 30 yards back is preferable!

Best Regards, Måns!

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Måns ]

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote