View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 AM   #44
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Before we do move on to the next one, I've got a final mention of Beorn Squire! Rumil made an interesting thought here:
Quote:
Beorn appears as quite exceptionally powerful in this battle. As he was said to be 'something of a sorceror', I wonder if he 'magically' enhanced the size and strength of his bear-form
He must certainly be 'gifted' or empowered in some way, but maybe it was more instinctive than deliberate, the Hobbit P.271:
Quote:
He came alone, and in bear's shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in his wrath
It kinda seems like his size was tied to his battle-rage, like the madder he got the bigger he became perhaps? Whatever its source though, his personal power must've been a match for just about anyone in ME. The only image I've found which begins to do Beorns presence justice is here:Battle He is quite far off in the melee, but still big enough to descry as "he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers." I only wish Beorn and his shapeshifting kin got more of a mention in the LoTR.

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Numenorean ]
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote