View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
The First time I remember hearing this chapter I had some susspicion what I was getting into, and like your arachnophobic brother said, Feanor, I wasn't going to like it.
The First time my father read The Lord of the Rings to me we got as far as this chapter before I was to scared for him to continue reading it (keep in mind I was about 6yrs old at the time). Three years later when he read it to my brother and I again one of the three things I remember was that there was a HUGE-AND-TERRIFYING-SPIDER. To my 9yr old self though Shelob wasn't as bad as I remembered, and while Shelob still creeps me out (I really do hate spiders) this chapter has since become one of my favorites.

Unfortunately I haven't read this chapter recently enough to really discuss it, but I'm now interested in this 'Galadriel's v. Eärendil’s' name thing that Estelyn mentions so don't be surprised if I reread and come back to speak further.