View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 07:47 AM   #90
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Could you elaborate on why that is a problem?
Certainly, Telchar.

The threads in this forum are for the playing of Quiz games, not discussion of Tolkien's works. By all means correct someone if they get something wrong, but this only requires a short sentence or two. There is no need for lengthy supporting quotes and/or argument. Were that to happen every time an incorrect statement was made on these threads, then the games themselves would become lost in the detail and the threads would become prematurely long. That is why lengthy corrections, which not only take up space themselves but may also provoke similalry lengthy responses, are to be discouraged.

If a brief correction does (or is likely to) develop into a discussion, then (if it is worth continuing) that discussion can be taken to PM or (better still) the Books or Novices/Newcomers forum (as appropriate).

Quote:
I think it is in the best interest of all the participants to know why this in not one of the purposes of the quizroom - ei: to learn more and be corrected when one is wrong.
I am not saying that the Quiz Room should not be for learning. Indeed, on the contrary, the opportunity to learn more about Tolkien's works (mainly thriugh researching answers and seeing the answers given by others) is, to my mind, one of its key attractions. What I am saying, though, is that discussion should be kept to a minimum so that it does not start obscuring the games, and that includes detailed explanations of why someone has got something wrong. A simple correction will suffice.

I agree that it is useful to have the opportunity to explain these guidelines for the benefit of all. But, if anyone has any further comments on what I have said, please PM me. Enough space has been taken up on this thread.

I hope that clarifies matters. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]