View Single Post
Old 06-15-2001, 02:56 AM   #27
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: legolas /Sindar or Noldor/Cian

I re-read the UT Tuor yesterday and as I remembered that Voronwe was 1/2 Sinda &amp;1/2 Noldo is clearly stated by and in the passing through of the gates - the third gate - of bronze was peopled mostly by the Sindar.

T-E has said <blockquote>Quote:<hr>
in Last Writings (HoME 12) JRRT mentions
that Gondolin was peopled almost entirely by the Noldor. I
have had debates with some who say that this was JRRT's
final conception he was changing this back to the long held
original version and is thus 'canon'. I however think it may
have just been some fogetfulness on his part (these late
writings show a variety of 'errors' attributable to the
Professors age and 'memory being no longer retentive').
There is a few lines later the consideration that Glorfindel
could have been a Sinda.
In any event Gondolin having a Sinda population is much
more consistant overall, though it may necesitate some
change to the Lost Tales version.<hr></blockquote>

I think you are right. It is a similar case to the final conceptions of Galadriel, as interesting as they might be there is too much disruption of excellent text to include a final ponderings and drafts that were evidently never considered in the light of the larger Legendarium or in the case of Galadriel of the published LotR/RGEO.

I put forth [in the absence of further evidence] that this conception is firmly enough embedded into the UT text that removing it due to dueling and differently interpreted linguistic texts is counter-productive. The individual linguistic notes are more easily deleted [if they have a place at all] than trying to resettle the question by manipulating the last version of Tuor, which I think has a coherence and majesty of story that is best left untampered with.

Welcome Cian - if you have read the 'Introduction to the forum' thread you may know your participation here is most welcome - I hope we see you regularly here, especially as the thornier linguistic issues come up. Let us know if you wish to be counted as a voting member [in linguistic area's or on the project in general] - there is more re: this in the 'Intro to the Forum &amp; Project ' thread.

A linguistic question re: the legolas name issue- is the Quenya listed in the notes to LT [ I am not sure iif it is in the back or after FoG] under the Legolas entry [that I quoted above] the later version of quenya? I am not looking at Cian and my posts simaltaneously but I think the spelling of the Q. version of legolas differs. Are we translating different roots or is it due to different era's of quenya.

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working onthe 2nd Elven/Christian discussion board<a href="http://pub72.ezboard.com/bosanwe" >Osanwe</a>, and Gilthalion's http://pub41.ezboard.com/btarostineruhirTar Ost-in-Eruhir</A>. and Finrod prophecieth to Andreth " Therefore Eru,if He will not relinquish His work to Melkor... must come in to conquer him. </p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote