View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 AM   #18
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwhini View Post
In these respects Aragorn shows again the strain of Tragedy that touched all of Tolkien's threads:

That Aragorn has a duty that is not his own doing, but one that has been thrust upon him.

And that because of this duty, he is denied many of the things he had when Sauron still lived (friends, the freedom to come-and-go, few responsibilities to others, etc.).
I disagree. What you are describing is more fitting to the character of movie-Aragorn. Book-Aragorn's duty is entirely his own doing. He wanted to become King Elessar from the start and did everything in his power to accomplish this. He's proud, self-confident and resilient in his claims. Just take the last quote that I posted:

Quote:
'Fear not!' he said. 'Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anárion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur’s son, heir of Elendil, has naught to dread!' Then the light of his eyes faded, and he spoke to himself: 'Would that Gandalf were here! How my heart yearns for Minas Anor and the walls of my own city! But whither now shall I go?'
Note the enumeration of his titles and family relations and the claim on Minas Arnor. It sure doesn't seem to me that this could be attributed to a character that is torn between his duty and his own true desires. They really are one and the same.

If anything Aragorn is torn because of his duty towards the ring's fate and his own political agenda. Annoyingly, he has to take Gandalf's place and this is getting in the way of his original plans.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote