View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
I disagree. What you are describing is more fitting to the character of movie-Aragorn. Book-Aragorn's duty is entirely his own doing. He wanted to become King Elessar from the start and did everything in his power to accomplish this.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your point, why do you think he had such a drive to become King of Gondor? He had many ancestors that had the same claim as he did but none of them made any attempt to make it good. Was it love of Arwen? Could be, but honestly the reason why the opportunity arose was because of the War of the Ring. Given the circumstances surrounding the situation and the opportunity the war provided, it could be argued that it was his destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Note the enumeration of his titles and family relations and the claim on Minas Arnor. It sure doesn't seem to me that this could be attributed to a character that is torn between his duty and his own true desires. They really are one and the same.

If anything Aragorn is torn because of his duty towards the ring's fate and his own political agenda. Annoyingly, he has to take Gandalf's place and this is getting in the way of his original plans.
However, I do disagree with your interpretation of Aragorn's motives in this. I do not think he was annoyed or put out by his duty to the Ring quest any more than Frodo or Sam, who also frequently wanted to return to the Shire. Of course they all wanted to be off doing something else that they wanted to do. The quest was a miserable experience. But the fate of the world was literally hanging in the balance. I have no doubt that had circumstances been different, Aragorn would have gone up Mount Doom with Frodo on his back if need be.