View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #24
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
This probably boils down to stylistic preferences in the end. I don't find these resolutions to be hamfisted, but rather add texture to the setting.

An afterthought:

I suspect that this problem (if you are inclined to view it as such) stems from Tolkien's method or style of writing. He really excels when it comes to the reinterpretation of mythical motives and their expression in his own world. But there are certain aspects of story-telling that seem to be, let's say, of less importance to him, to be a little more diplomatic about it. The numerous cases of deus ex machina (Oh, those eagles) may be fitting examples for this feature.

And I really don't want to be too harsh. The general embedding of the King-story into the Ring-story was accomplished with great success. I really like how it drives the narrative foward and how it connects the past with the present. I'm just being a little bit nit-picky about it because I want to get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Part of the problem may arise in that Strider did not start off as Strider at all.

Anyway, I will actually be home this evening so I will take some time to thumb through the last part of Fellowship and see if anything additional catches my eye beyond what has been mentioned already.
Thanks, that would be great.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote