View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #75
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Live with it

All G & WK Scene Haters. You're going to have to live with it. This is the FILM ADAPTATION not the book.

I've stated my main points earlier as to why Gandalf's staff was destroyed. (1/ Gandalf + staff = no problem dealing with Denethor 2/ The 'world of men' saves the day)

Here's one more.

In this film Gandalf has not had a real 'baddie' to confront, as (thankfully) Sauron does not exist in physical form in this movie. Therefore Jackson has given him decent oposition to fight.

The Rohirrim DID help save the day. Jackson has just heightened this by seemingly having Gandalf ready to take a pasting, and then the horns blow and the WK leaves realising his plans may have gone wrong. I'll say again, IMO in the book as in the film, the Rohirrim saved Gandalf. I feel uncomfortable that Gandalf's staff is broken, yes, but I put up with it.

Now if you think this is bad, thank your lucky stars two other things didn't make the final cut of the films as discussed in the rotk DVD EE appendicies.

1/ Sauron appears in physical form to fight Aragorn. (funnily enough the very first time I saw Aragorn fighting the Troll at the black gates I thougt they had airbrushed Sauron out of this fight scene)

2/ Frodo pushes Gollum over the edge (this was the version until the last day of woods/serkins pickup filming)

Just imagine one of those (or both) appearing in the film. We would be discussing nothing else!!!

PS On another point, we do not actually see Gandalf use his staff to destory Saruman's do we? As SPM points out, a wizard without a staff still has power (albeit no doubt lessened)

Last edited by Essex; 01-10-2005 at 05:09 AM. Reason: tidying up
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote