View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #33
Balfrog
Haunting Spirit

Balfrog has just left Hobbiton.
There is a very good chance that the 1964 Mroczkowski letter contains more about Tom. Indeed it may fully confirm (or for that matter entirely negate) Priya Seth's theory. The fact that only partial contents have been revealed (with respect to LotR information) seems a bit weird.

I could find very little more about the letter and who purchased it on the Internet apart from 'The LotR Plaza' and the 'Tolkien Gateway' sites.

From the 'Tolkien Gateway':

"The letter continues with a detailed discussion of The Lord of the Rings, considering Mroczkowski's suggestion as to 'the simultaneity of different planes of reality touching one another ... part of the deeply felt idea that I had ... Beyond that too I feel that no construction of the human mind, whether in imagination or the highest philosophy, can contain within its own "englobement" all that there is ... There is always something left over that demands a different or longer construction to "explain" it ... This is like a "play", in which ... there are noises that do not belong, chinks in the scenery', discussing in particular the status of Tom Bombadil in this respect."*

It is stated that: "This work is copyrighted and owned by the*Tolkien Estate."

If that is the case I would hope that one day soon the contents will be fully revealed. Any other information as to its content or confirmation as to whether it truly is/isn't in the hands of the Estate would be much appreciated.
Balfrog is offline   Reply With Quote