View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #9
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
LOL! You guys are great [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jane Austen would have rightfully concentrated on the true heroine of the story though:

Arwen Evenstar, handsome, clever and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, had lived nearly three thousand years in Middle Earth with very little to distress or vex her. Her dear mother had died long ago, in circumstances best not related here; and as her father was much occupied with matters of business, she dwelt for many years with her grandmother at her beautiful country estate of Lothlorien.

Mrs Galadriel was a wise and wealthy woman, who had fallen little short of a mother in affection. She was fond of company, and entertained many guests, both noble and rich. Long years had Miss Evenstar resided with her beloved relation, before returning to her father's home.

There she was a great comfort to her aging father, especially as her two older brothers, though loving and devoted to their sister, were often abroad on great adventures.

One day the exciting news was announced that there was to be a great Council held by her father. Though the gentlemen would likely spend much of the day discussing business affairs - something about a Ring, which Arwen did not fully comprehend - there would certainly be a a feast, and an occasion for dancing.

"Mrs Glorfindel told me that they are expecting 4 gentlemen and 6 hobbits!" announced the serving maid, with much excitement.
"Nay, it was 7 gentlemen and 9 hobbits," corrected her companion.

In the end there were only two gentlemen and four hobbits, as well as an assortment of dwarfs. The assembled guests were much admiring of Miss Evenstar's singing, and in raptures at her sweet beauty. However, few of the guests noticed a brief look of understanding pass between one of the gentlemen, a handsome and distinguished man, if a little less smartly dressed than the occasion strictly merited, and Miss Evenstar. Could it be possible that they had met before?