View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't believe any of Tolkien's Letters included his beliefs on suicide. Of course, if someone finds a reference, then they are absolutely welcome to enlighten the rest of us.

What Tolkien believed was a very common belief, both among Roman Catholics and among ancient people (Norsemen, Celts, etc.). Vikings were "famous" for their fiery, emotional funerals, but those were performed for people who were past the prime of their life, and who died after their life's work had come to an end. If a warrior died in battle, he was doing what he had to do, and knew the risks of his undertaking. There was no cowardice in that. Committing suicide, on the other hand, is the most cowardly action one could take. True, any dead person leaves behind bereaved loved ones, but a victim of suicide leaves behind bereaved loved ones who are haunted by the questions, "Was it me? Did I do something wrong? Was it my fault?" To commit suicide is to tell the world, "I have problems, but I don't have the resolve to find a solution. I don't have the strength to fight to live." I'm not condemning those who have tried to commit suicide, because I am one of them. Now, looking back on my deluded attempts, I realize that if I had committed suicide, I would have always been remembered for cowardice, not bravery, not self-sacrifice, but cowardice. Would you want your family to always remember you for doing something cowardly? I think not.

Denethor's suicide attempt showed how far gone he truly was in his madness. This was a man who had been brought up to bring honor to his family and city at all costs. The old Denethor would have rather died than done anything to disgrace his city. Therein lies his true madness.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote