View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I think we need to be very clear here about the distinction between the internal texts and the external texts. Externally (in the real world and in the real texts of JRRT), Rog's name was, in your sense, lost. But this does not say anything about whether internally, in the tradition passed from Pengolodh to Rivendell to Bilbo, etc., the name was lost. Regardless of whether Rog was lost from Tolkien's texts, it is fan fiction to say that he was lost from Numenor's texts.
Well, JRRT himself treats fictional 'Red Books' and such as history. So if the Red book was able to be translated by JRRT, then I find it acceptable to postulate that anything not finished by him, or left in disarray, [i]is[/] in disarray, as regards to fictional LEgendarium source documents.

I said earlier:
Quote:
Rog and his conmpany I am now thinking should go. There is just to much 'editing' needed at every turn,
Aiwendil disagreed asserting [if I understood aright] that this was the flip side of
Quote:
I can understand not wanting to lose a serious chunk of text due to an outdated word, but from the start, the goal with the FOG was to keep in as much as could be adapted to the canon - and eliminate that which can not.
The difference to my mind is that overediting or awkward editing can ruin or damage the story, thus obviating the whole attempt. Aesthetics again raises it's subjective head...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote