View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 12:58 PM   #24
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
But "Rog" is just a name. A clinker to be sure, and an imperfection, but I think it should be lived with, for the sake of retaining the fuller image of Gondolin with its diverse noble houses and actors.

I also feel that the circumflex is an appropriate and helpful thing, too, even if a conceit. So, the first introduction might be as follows: "The Lord of the people of the Hammer of Wrath, commonly remembered as Rôg, ..." or "The people of the Hammer of Wrath, led by one called Rôg, did ..." Subtle, no footnote, move on to JRRT's storyline.
After reviewing some of the above posts, I sense that MotW's suggestion is probaly as far as I can lean in the direction of keeping Rôg. I know none of us are excited about glosses or footnotes, but something on the order of the above suggestions is the minimum I think necessary to justify inclusion of the name Rôg.

Apologies that I did not see your reply sooner Man of the Wold.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote