View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 10:22 AM   #139
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145
I know that later texts are far less explicit about Tuor's whereabouts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the idea was scrapped - it might just mean that Tolkien decided to keep it more of a mystery.
It seems to me that for precisely this reason, we should omit the statement from our version. In any case, enough had changed an been elaborated in Tolkien's thinking about the natures of Elves and Men between Q30 and the later period that I think it should not be stated as a definitive fact that Tuor was counted afterward as one of the Noldor.

If, however, we do keep that statement, I think we need to remove the previous sentence, and perhaps soften the statement with a "some say":

Quote:
... Then they set sail <TY (and some say Voronwë with them)> into the sunset and the West. <TE-E {Eärendel}[Eärendil] {hears}heard a great song swelling from the sea as{ Tur's skiff dips over the world's rim.}<TE-NC {Idril and Earendel see} Tuor’s boat {dropping}dropped into the twilight{ and a sound of song}.>{His}/Great was his/ passion of tears upon the shore.> {, and came no more into any tale or song.} VE-07.25 <Q30, note 2 <But some say that Tuor alone of mortal Men was numbered among the elder race, and joined with the {Noldoli}[Noldor] whom he loved, and in after time dwelt still, or so it hath been said, {[struck out: in Tol Eressea] }ever upon his ship voyaging the seas of {Fairyland [> }the Elven-lands{]}, or resting a while in the harbours of the {Gnomes}[Exiles] of Tol Eressea; and his fate is sundered from the fate of Men.>VE-07.3a <QS77 {But in after days it was sung that Tuor alone of mortal Men was numbered among the elder race; and his fate is sundered from the fate of Men.}
Bright Eärendil was then lord of the people that dwelt nigh to Sirion's mouths; ...
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote