View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #76
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Findegil wrote:
Quote:
Thus the hunt was claerly part of the story when Ab1 and Ab2 where written. These Annals were much fuller than then TY (they were been accompanied by Tale of the Year versions, which we don't have). It seems wrong to me, to execlud the hunt, only because it isn't metioned in TY which Tolkien composed clearly with AB2 or the accompanying Tale of the Year version in front of him.
That's a very good point. I suppose TY cannot be considered to contradict the hunt.

Quote:
- Do we all agree that Thingol had not a great host of Sindarin Elves withhim when he was killed?
I don't see that this is necessitated. It's not beyond belief that the Dwarves of Nogrod could defeat the Sindar of Doriath in a straight battle.

Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
What I don't understand is why can't you envision a story where there is the hunt and not the threacherous elves in it, unless I'm not getting your point.
Oh, I can. The treacherous Elves are indeed a distinct issue from the hunt.

I do not see the hunt as a potential way to make the story that Thingol was lured beyond the Girdle more plausible. As I said, I think it just as plausible that Thingol was lured outside in either case. For me, the decision comes down, very simply, to the question of Tolkien's intention at the time of the note to TY.

But Findegil's point has made me far less sure about TY contradicting the hunt. I still have some reservations; it still seems to me somewhat safer not to include it. But since I'm ambivalent and the two of you are clearly for the hunt, we might as well adopt it.

The treacherous Elves, though, I'm still rather inclined to drop.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote