View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #17
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well: if we remember correctly (well: if I remember correctly, that is), weren't there two different Elves named Legolas as well? Could that have been a reincarnation, or maybe just another common name (Greenleaf had to be a common Elf name). As for Glorfindel, I always thought that it was the reincarnation, because, as someone once phrased it to me:

Quote:
When Elves died, they frequently got plopped back down on Middle Earth in different bodies, for they could not pass through the halls of Mandos, but were forced to wait.
That is roughly true what I have since then read from Tolkien (I'd already read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings...since then, I've read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales 1).

So: in conclusion: we don't really know who was a reincarnation with the same name or was just a coincidence, unless Tolkien specified. And: did it mention Glorfindel being reincarnated in The Sil? If so: gotta reread it again: already forgetting a lot of it.