View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #42
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Hmmm... I guess I'd better tell you what my books are like.
I'm working on a seven part series (Which is definatly NOT about a boy at his magical school [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] God, its taking me ages to do! I was writing a chapter a week, but my computer broke, and even since I got it back havn't got back into that rotine. I've been working on the first book since about easter and I'm not even a sith of the way through! I don't know where I got the idea, I just thought, right. I'm going to write a book and its going to have a mage in it and a cat and... And I worked it out from there!

Quote:
How did you decide that you wanted to write fantasy? What kind do you write?

Has Tolkien influenced your writing? If so, how?
I don't think I ever did decide. I've been writing fantasy since I could. Probably becuase I'm autistic so I find it hard to express feelings, whenever I got really annoyed or something like that I would write a short story with the chacter feeling like I was at the time. They were always fantasy. Probably because its really the only genre I've ever been interested in. The first book I read was a book of myths (I went from not reading at all to reading books years above my age in a half term [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I write any books that come into my head. Thats normally fantasy but I think I've done a few sci-fi and comedy ones. But the comedy ones were based on fantasy so...

Tolkien has influnced my writing in so many ways. All the writers I've ever read have (Way to many to list!) I think I valued Tolkiens way of writing becuase its very similar to my own and becuase he used myths and things for his backrounds. The first time I read LotR I could see the edges of myths that I had read over and over again creaping in. I loved his elves. Thats what shows must in my writing. I never liked the faries of fariy tales. If there was ever a fariy party I would always be the one without wands and wings but with a bow; becuase these were the elves I loved and beleived in.

Quote:
What kind do you write? (Transition or Immersion)
I don't acctually know. Mines based in a time that isn't stated. It has all the modern technology but could easily be in the future. Basically it's set on the Earth which is split into three worlds: the World that Is (A magical world), the Worlds Wood (a place that separates the other two), and the World. The World is the one we're in now.

Quote:
how do you make your protagonist (hero) somebody your reader can relate to, or like, or at least sympathize with?
I don't think I have tried. I just split myself into six, but one part in each of the main charaters and then the seventh is me.