View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #46
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Ahhh, beautiful ressurection!

Okay, I have just finished reading the old AYWSF thread (all 22 pages! It took me 2 weeks!) and I have decided to resurrect this one, basicly for moral support and to see some new writers here!

I briefly posted on this thread when I first came to the Barrowdowns, but it hardly had anything to do with writing. At the moment, I am writing a fantasy story that could possibly become a duology (phrase coined by LMP. It means "two books") or even a trilogy. I havn't actually started the writing process yet, but I'm very far into the planning stage. I have my protagonists: 4 girls. (This will lead to a question I will post later in this post.) I have maps, a language, and most of the plot sorted out in my head.

The world is called Ola, and it is like one gigantic forest. In this I basicly thought, what would my dream world look like. My immeadiate answer was trees.

I will also address my language, since it has been commented on many times before (not mine, but language in general on this thread.) It is called Isca-augay, which translates directly into "scribe-language". It is only used mainly in old scrolls and ceremonies. Now, I'm no linguist. I, in fact, only speak 2 languages: English and Pig Latin. ( ) However, I drew from those strengths. My language is mostly a spoof on pig-latin. Here is my complicated process:
1) I turn the English word into Pig Latin.
2) I add and/or remove letters depending on the part of speech of word.
FOR EXAMPLE:
House would translate distantly to Ohay. Similar, yet distant enough to be unrecognizable.

I have written many other things. I have written a few short stories, but I mostly write poetry. One short story I'm very fond, not to mention proud, of is "The Spire of Hope." I wrote it for a Reading assignment, and I think it is the best thing I have written to date. It is uneditted, yet I shan't get around to editing it for a long while. However, it is available on fictionpress.net. I'm under the pen name of Blissfully Unaware, if you want to check me out. You can also find many of my poems there.

Okay, here are my questions:

1) How do you overcome gender barriers? For example: my 4 protags are female, being as I'm female. My problem? I don't know how to write a male character. I've tried, and I've failed miserably. Any advice?

Okay, my mind has completely gone blank, and with this blankness has gone my questions. Oh well.

I await your replies!