View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #962
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Back to Scarburg

Folwren's post

“That went well, my lord?” Thornden asked as the company moved out once again. Athanar nodded his head.

“Yes. Tancred is a shrewd man, but he knew that there was nothing he could say to put off paying what was due. He is not a fool.”

“He did not doubt your claim, like Faramund did?”

“No, not after I laid the facts in front of him. Let us hope Alboin is as reasonable as Tancred was.”

Thornden nodded. He fell into silence, thinking again on the one time he had met Alboin, along with the other two lords. Alboin had talked the least of the three, but he had shown no less disdain for them than Faramund had. He would be angry, possibly belligerent, but he could not argue with Athanar for long.

The sun was beginning its downward arch in the sky by the time they reached Alboin’s lands. They drew rein close to the door of the house. Unlike the other two places they had visited it seemed that here there was no one home. Athanar looked around silently. The long day was beginning to show in most of the riders’ faces, and they had yet several hours ride back home.

“Come with me, Thornden,” Athanar said, dismounting, nodding Coen to stay with the men. Thornden stepped down from his horse and followed Athanar. As they drew nearer the house, the door swung open and a young lady came out.

Nogrod's post

“Who are you and why do you come with such a force?” She asked trying to keep her voice firm, like a lady of a noble house should.

Athanar and Thornden glanced at each other sharing the curiosity.

“I am lord Athanar, the eorl of Mid Emnet, and I’ve come to see lord Alboin.” He paused for a short while to study the young lady’s reaction. “Where can we find him?”

The young woman hesitated for a moment but then bowed lightly to lord Athanar and asked them to follow her inside.

After waiting a little longer they felt was decent, lord Alboin finally emerged into the hall followed by a few of his men. He had put on his best garments topped with a fancy tunic decorated with stunning colors. He tried to look firm and in control of the situation. He took pains to express himself both lordly and honourably at the same time. “So, what gives me the pleasure of this unexpected visit from my eorl?”

Lord Athanar stared at him with relaxed confidence, leaning back against the seat he was sitting in. In truth he was not at all sure this would go easily but his acted ease was a means to affect the outcome. And it worked, lord Alboin became more clearly nervous the longer lord Athanar remained silent.

Finally lord Athanar let lord Alboin off the hook of suspense. “Do you remember Thornden here? You two have met…” Athanar nodded towards Thornden and then turned back to look at Alboin who was now openly insecure about the situation.

“Last time you two met the then new eorl was very sick and I hear you weren’t exactly honoring of the earldom and those then representing it… Well, king Eomer has seen it important enough to appoint a new eorl to set things right on these corners of Rohan. And I demand perfect obedience and honouring of the king’s orders.” He took short break and leaned forwards. “Lord Friduhelm is back in charge and lord Tancred has subjected himself to the new order. Now you face the choice: I have enough men out there to force you to agree, or you can agree on your own free will.

Lord Alboin hesitated. Whichever way he tried to calculate his chances they seemed slim indeed. He tried to figure out different scenarios but soon realized that right here and now he had no other chance but to agree. But he would not be humiliated with the details before his men. “Bredgard and Gropher, go see that the eorl’s men get some wine and show their horses to the pond.”

~*~

“Well, I would call that a good day, wouldn’t you Thornden?” Lord Athanar asked when they were finally back on their way to Scarburg.

“I would, even if the start wasn’t so good…” Thornden answered studying his lord’s expression.

Athanar nodded. “I think we have all earned ourselves a little party back in Scarburg, don’t you think?”

Thornden and Coen both nodded. The sun was slowly setting behind their backs as they rode the last miles towards the Mead Hall.