View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 AM   #57
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
To Essex Hi. What you are implying in a round about sort of way, is that the hobbit Merry and his magic sword killed The Lord of The Nazgul, was it Merry or was it Eowyn, or should the prophecy have said "He will not be killed by any ONE man" or maybe "He will not be killed by one man alone , but by a woman also"
Hi, no, what I was saying was your point in the next quote was incorrect
Quote:
The argument that Merry helped Eowyn is weak, and how magical was her sword
Merry was instrumental in the success of defeating the WK and, therefore, Sauron. His blow with the Sword was the IMPORTANT one. Eowyn finally 'killed off' the WK as his powers were nullified by Merry's stroke.

Your next point:
Quote:
Also please dont get all politically correct on me, women in battle are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. You can quote all incidents you want, but you wont convince a man who has carried 50pounds on his back into battle, that a woman can endure as long as a man, sorry but there it is.
You counter this argument with your next sentence.
Quote:
However I do know that this is fantasy
If we believe in a Ring that can make someone invisible, wizards, balrogs etc, why can't we envisage a Woman being of more use in battle than a chocolate fireguard? It's a Fantasy as you say.
Eowyn had a sword and a shield, who cares if she can or cannot carry a 50lb backpack around with her?

Quote:
....and so that a prophecy can be fulfilled, Tolkien endows a woman with fighting skills beyond the norm, however as I said before it is not the fighting skills that are important here, it is Eowyns love for her kin that stops her running for cover, and it is also for love, which makes Merry do a thing of great courage.
I agree with Love being an important factor, but I didn't argue this point.

Quote:
The only thing I will say is that Gandalf the Grey (not yet enhanced to White) held off a number of The Nazgul on Weathertop all night, I do not think that Gandalf the White would have had been that scared of their Captain.
Fine, and I think he WAS. Just as he was scared of facing the Balrog. Fear is what keeps people alive. You as an ex soldier will no doubt understand that....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote