View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Ar-Gilien
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Gilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first orcs, called Olog-hai, were those elves captured and perverted by Melkor/Morgoth, so turned to evil, that they shunned the sunlight. Those elves that had fallen prey to his lies, and which descended into the very pits of Utumno, where they were broken and changed into the creatures of Morgoth's dark will. "Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressea, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, put into prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves.." (See: The Silmarillion, page 50, second paragraph.) It said that these very elves were made a mockery of the Children of Iluvatar.

Goblins, I believe, were a different race altogether than orcs. Yes, I think they were created at the same time, or a little after the Olog-hai, but different. Not elvish in their origins, just something evil.

The Uruk-hai, or second orcs were bred either by Sauron, in secret in Mordor (See entry: "Uruk-hai", The Tolkien Companion, page 498.) It says that the uruk-hai, or 'orc-race', are the second race, taller and stronger than their weaker cousins. It also says that they are are blending of orcs and of men. However, in the first LoTR movie, it shows that Saruman is responsible for their creation, but again, there it says, a 'blending of orcs and men.' Who created the uruk-hai is debatable, but with two sources cited, I am willing to bet they (uruk-hai) are a cross strain of both orcs and men, especially if Morgoth's creation of the Olog-hai, were such proved failures.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ar-Gilien ]