View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainur View Post
It says in UT that one reason the rangers could not hold out against the Black Riders at Sarn Ford was because their captain (Aragorn) was away north, watching the East Road. It doesn't say whether he knew to expect the hobbits to come through there or not, or whether it was coincidence. His behavior in Bree seems to indicate that he knew they would be travelling at that time of year. If Bombadil had messages from Gildor, is it possible that the Rangers did as well?
Aragorn was told by Gandalf that a certain hobbit - or hobbits - would come by the East Road to Bree, headed to Rivendell. Aragorn knew when and how Frodo is travelling, from Gandalf. So I think Gildor has little to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug*platypus View Post
I think that Tom referring to Goldberry's 'Washing Day' was just his quite little name for when it rained. I think the only things being washed were the plants, and that Goldberry's being mentioned in connection with the rain just shows more fully her background as a water spirit. Of course, she was probably outside in the rain all day. Remember that when she sat down she always had her feet in water. The rainy day just seemed to fit in nicely, allowing the hobbits (and the readers) time to sit back and chill, and listen to some stories. I think Tolkien is actively condoning the practice. I love those rainy Tom Bombadil days.
I always thought that Washing Day was a kind of Big Autumn Clean-up Day, and just that. Tom, as was mentioned before, is like a stewart for his smallish chink of land (small compared to Denethor's and Gandalf's). Therefore Goldberry is to that land like a queen to her husband's kingdom. Tom does the rougher handiwork around their place, and Goldberry does the cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
I suspect that Tom Bombadil has very keen eyesight as well. He very probably brought the Hobbits to just the right place on his border so that Aragorn could hear their conversation. I never saw coincidence in that, only design.
I won't put it beyond Bombadil to bring them right to a place that is watched by a Ranger, but I doubt that he meant Aragorn to overhear the conversation. I think he just wanted to deliver the hobbits to safe hands so that nothing would happen to them again.

Personally, I believe Bombadil knew about the presence and nature of the Nazgul in his lands. He just seems too all-knowing. On the other hand, he was completely surprised to find the hobbits near Old Man Willow. However, he definitely knows who is after the hobbits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog on the Barrow Downs
"But perhaps the delay will prove useful - it may have put them off our trail." [said Frodo]

"Do you think," asked Pippin hesitantly, "do you think we may be pursued, tonight?"

"No, I hope not tonight," answered Tom Bombadil; "nor perhaps the next day. But do not trust my guess; for I cannot tell for certain. Out east my knowledge fails. Tom is not master of Riders from the Black Land far beyond his country."
So he knows that the Nazgul are at the hobbits' heels. We also know from this quote that, if "out east [his] knowledge fails", he must know (or be able to foretell) most of what goes on in his land, if not all. And since he has the knowledge of the Nazgul, it is only fitting that he should give the hobbits the special knives.

And even things that Tom does not from knowledge (f.ex. saving the hobbits from Old Man Willow) cannot be called coincidental. Bombadil says about their meeting something along the lines of "chance brought me then, if chance you call it"; this indicates that he himself does not believe it was an accident.

This is what makes him such a fascinating character.