View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #58
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
In Aredhel’s case the “more” did not rise above the level of being able to do whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. I’m afraid I cannot consider this to be a particularly noble motive that is worthy of any great consideration when compared to the safety of a kingdom.
Have to say this is my feeling too. I don't think Aredhel comes across (or is meant to) as a 'caged bird' only seeking freedom to be herself. She is immature & selfish. She ultimately brings disaster on Gondolin. She leaves because she's bored & comes back trailing disaster in her wake. In many ways her closest analogue is not Eowyn (or Luthien if it comes to that) but Erendis, in the way she ignores the harsh realities of her time in favour of pursuing her own will whatever the cost to others.

Her immaturity is shown not simply in her leaving Gondolin, but also in her running back there when she has gotten herself into trouble. Turgon is a 'nasty dictator' when he strives to keep her in Gondolin (even though it is for her own safety & the protection of the inhabitants of the city) but suddenly becomes a 'protector & safe haven' when she gets herself into a mess.

Turgon is a hero who makes an error of judgement in not listening to the words of Ulmo brought by Tuor. Apart from that one fall from perfection he is wise, compassionate & plays his part in the war against Morgoth. He 'fights the Long Defeat with all the heroism we could expect from a King of the Noldor.

We cannot judge him a 'dictator' as he was living & ruling 'in extremis', if I can put it that way. His decisions were made for the best in very difficult circumstances. I cannot see him behaving in such a way in peacetime. This was not a 'fake' or 'cold' war, but a very real one, where one false move could have brought disaster on his realm & people. That disaster did, ultimately, descend, in the form of his nephew. And his nephew was only there because of Aredhel's immaturity & selfishness. She had made her bed, but refused to lie in it when she found it didn't suit her. She doesn't like being stuck in Gondolin, so she runs away from home. Then she decides she doesn't like being stuck with Eol & just runs away again.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote