View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #33
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I apologize, Dalin and InklingElf, if my words have been obtuse. I am simply defending Tolkien's right to translate Beowulf as he saw fit. I would be happy to clarify any of my statements if you want to PM me about them. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Turambar, welcome back! Good of you to post another modern version of alliterative verse. Pound's translation of The Seafareris not particularly 'faithful' to the original, and sometimes I think it unduly convoluted, but it still makes for interesting reading I think. Strictly speaking, among scholars and pedants at least, 'Anglo Saxon' is reserved for the people and culture of the nation while 'Old English' refers to the language.

Usually, I think, Bill Ferny, it is the writer who decides how to develop his argument, rather than the other discussants.

Quote:
Bethberry, that's demagogic, unfair, and for the most part, untrue.
Given that I am in and of the discipline, I have every right to state my opinion of it, even if the opinion is cynical, having attended more Learneds, as well as other conferences, than I care to remember. I also have every right to use that ancient rhetorical device called hyperbole.

Squatter, thank you for expressing so eloquently my thoughts. *bows*

Quote:
I would regard an annotation of it as an insult to my intelligence.
Bethberry

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]