View Single Post
Old 10-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yes, it is Hollin. It says so on the map. Here is more info on it from "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth" by Robert Foster:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Eregion: Land in Eriador between the Rivers Glanduin and Bruinen, settled about SA 750 by the Gwaith-i-Mírdain [people-of-the-jewel-smiths i.e. Celebrimbor and his people]. It's chief city was Ost-in-Edhil [city-of-the-Elves]. Eregion was laid waste in 1697 during the War of the Elves and Sauron. Called in Westron, Hollin. The land had many holly trees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So in actuality the ruins you see in the movie are Ost-in-Edhil.<P>In the book they do not mention seeing the ruins themselves, but they discuss Hollin in a few places. I like this one:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> [Gandalf] "...There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there."<P>"That is true," said Legolas. "But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us silvan folk [Noldor], and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them; <I>deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.</I> They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The brackets are mine and the italics are Tolkien's.<p>[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]