View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
But Sam HID from the Orcs. In other words he didn't put the Ring on as he did in the book at this juncture.
Could the power of the Ring permitted Sam to understand the orcs, who in this case weren't speaking 'Common' nor speaking very loudly, even though Sam did not have the Ring upon his finger? And does he feel now its weight, and get delusions of Samwise the Great, Hero of the Age?

Quote:
Very good point using my logic that he could of put it on somewhere else! Touche! But, he could have only put it on as he went up the steps of the gorge towards Cirith Ungol, as we 'see' him as he approaches the Tower and goes up the steps.......
Not how I intended that. One thing that you've taught me here is that, just because we don't see something 'on screen' doesn't mean that it actually didn't happen - unless, that is, something in the film conflicts with it. We can speculate about Sam wearing the One Ring, but cannot extrapolate that Merry found his blade in the Barrows. We, as far as I know, don't see anything that would indicate that Sam did not put on the Ring, but we do see Merry receiving his sword (requiring sharpening in Rohan) from Aragorn.

Each week I view and write about the LotR trilogy by Peter Jackson, and so, when the movies appear on network TV, what do I watch?