View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I haven't read the article yet (needs to do that) but one question comes to mind - well many questions, but let's start with one...
Here's hoping you can read it soon! I look forward to your many questions.

Quote:
Had Linden any opinion or argument about music in the ME in comparison to different musical cultures of the real world or is it just based on western musical tradition? So is it just the reversal of western musical history brought by applying the myth of the fall from paradise?
Linden works within the tradition of authorial intention. He, in rejecting David Finnamore's use of chaos theory as possible grounds for speculation, says that Tolkien thought "entirely in terms of western music". In his conclusion he admits there there are other possible ways to imagine the evolution of music, but in particular he states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden, 89
But it seems that Tolkien, a non-musician, imagined the music of Middle-earth as something rather like the music of Europe in the past few centuries.
Perhaps a new member, Steven Linden, will register and post his replies here?