View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien ....And now for something completely different.

Sorry to diverge form the mane stream of converse...

I don't know how relevant this is, but hay, I thought of it while reading this chapter.

After being rescued my Tom from the Barrow Wight's cave thing, the hobbits each took a leaf-sword. It says that men of Westernesse made them, then they were plundered and stolen by the witch king of Angmar, the Barrow Wights must have been given them and so hid them in their barrows. Now, here is my point, Merry's sword was stolen by the witch king, given to the Barrow Wights, found by Bombadill, given to Merry, and used to smite the witch king. A vicious circle I thought, that the very knife the witch king stole was used to hinder him before Eowin stabbed him in the face.
The whole issue of "No living man may hinder me” could be discussed for ages to come, but Merry was a hobbit not a man, that's as good an explanation for me.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-12-2004 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Rats
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote