View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 11:09 AM   #12
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Reading this post I was reminded of a passage in the Silmarillion from Of the Comming of Men into the West.
Quote:
It was not long therefore before Felagund could hold converse with Beor; and while he dwelt with him they spoke much together. But when he questioned him concerning the arising of Men and their journeys, Beor would say little; and indeed he knew little, for the fathers of his people had told few tales of their past and a silence had fallen upon their memory. "A darkness lies behind us and we have turned our backs upon it, and we do not desire to return thither even in thought"... Of Melkor's dealings with Men the Eldar indeed knew nothing, at that time, and learnt but little afterwards; but that a darkness lay upon the hearts of Men (as the shadow of the Kinslaying and the Doom of Mandos lay upon the Noldor) they percieved clearly even in the people of the Elf friends whome they first knew. To corrupt or destroy whatsoever arose new and fair was ever the chief desire of Morgoth...
What could this darkness, which is likened to the Kinslaying, that lies on Man's past be? I think it is very likely that the darkness that lies behind Man is the imposition of death on them by Illuvitar. This corresponds with the story of Eden from the Bible; after the fall of man, man becomes mortal. If I had witnessed or been a part of the fall of mankind, I certainly would not have wanted to share the story with my children in any great detail. Hence the shadow that lies on their past.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote