Thread: 144
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2001, 11:16 AM   #6
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that given the fact that it took years or decades [anyone know of a references oto the lenth of the march?] to cross Rhovanion/Eriador and then southern Beleriand [and more to the east - one version has them awakening at the Sea of Rhun I believe.

This gives time for marriages and children.When mutiplied exponentially populations grow very fast.

It should be included I think [if possible from a literary /stylistic point of veiw] in the Silm and I am pretty sure I have had Quendi and Eldar [not the whole essay mind you] in my outline in the 'Of the coming of the Elves...' ch. for that very reason. CRT states in the intro to Q&amp;E that it was seemingly authoritative for his father.

The essay is and Appendix to Q&amp;E -HoME XI p.420 and is easily overlooked in the mass of linguistic subtlties and footnoted commentaries .

This question and it's source [HoME XI] underscore for me the central importance for the project of volumes X and XI, I would hazard that 80% of our [God willing] final version of the Silm. will come from tthese 2 volumes , and 1/2 of the rest was written during the same time period but already included in UT.
These 2 books contain much of what we get to see of JRRT's final Silmarillion, and they should [except in the case of Doriath and the sack of the havens and voyage of Earendil be the first place we look to establish a base reading/text.

lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote