Thread: Escapism
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 01:50 PM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Last spring I read a rather eye-opening book called "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. (I know, I've dropped the name of this book in discussions before).

I won't try to explain the book here, except to say that since reading it I don't read "escapist' literature anymore and think of it as an avoidance of "real life", but rather with a feeling of being cheated. As if somewhere in the history of Mankind we all took a very wrong turn, and that the authors of alternative fiction are imperfectly remembering another way of life that we might have had, except for choices made in the distant past that we are still paying for.

Of course, this kind of thinking does little good, unless we are willing in some way to change our own direction.

So perhaps those of us who read escapist books should look at the feelings they stir in us, and instead of stifling them as "unrealistic", try to put a finger on those feelings that they kindle in us, and bring them to the forefront of our daily lives. There are lessons to be learned in the writings of Tolkien and other authors, that we should be trying to remember.

I know, it all sounds kind of fuzzy, doesn't it? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I just wish I could put my finger on it, myself.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote