View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #105
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Boromir the Photographer

Ooh...a place for me to post my Boromir the Photographer story. It's something I made up years ago, back when I was watching FotR with a friend. I think I told the story to a few Downers, but only to those who asked to hear it by PM. So, finally I will let everyone hear it and post it here.

Btw, I wrote this back in 2003 (when I was only...15), so don't expect anything particularly amazing...

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------

Boromir was not a professional photographer. It was a special hobby of his, kind of like how Legolas's hobby is brushing his hair. He first took his camera (which was specially made for him in Gondor) on his journey to Rivendell. In fact, the only reason Boromir managed to survive the extremely long Council of Elrond was by using the camera to captivate the serious and thoughtful faces of the others at the council. And the only reason Boromir agreed to join the fellowship was because they needed a photographer (at least that’s what they said).

Boromir took rolls of scenic photos throughout the journey, and even managed to take some during the battle in Moria. Unfortunately, tragedy struck when the fellowship reached Khazad-dum. While fleeing from the balrog, Boromir found himself trying to keep balance at the edge of a stairway, losing his camera in the process. He tried to grab it, nearly falling into the abyss himself, but luckily Legolas grabbed him just in time and saved him. All was not well with Boromir.
"My camera!" he wailed. "My beautiful camera...is gone." He reached out for his lost item.
"Forget about it!" shouted Legolas. "You must save yourself, first. Your life is more important than some camera."
Boromir had no time to argue, for the balrog was coming nearer and once again, it was time for the fellowship to run. So, across the bridge they went, with Aragorn and Legolas practically dragging the sobbing Boromir.

Meanwhile, Gandalf fought the balrog. As the balrog, fell into abyss, Gandalf cried out to Boromir, "Do not worry, Boromir! I will retrieve your camera." And then he jumped.

Gandalf's sacrifice for his camera cheered up Boromir slightly, but still, all was not well. Now the hobbits were blaming Boromir for Gandalf's tragic death. Nevertheless, the fellowship continued their way to Lothlorien, with Aragorn in the lead.

And now we will skip to the gift giving scene, since nothing interesting happens in Lorien (well, nothing about Boromir, at least).

Boromir was the last to receive his gift, but he waited patiently, hoping that Galadriel had something better for him than three strands of her hair. And then it was his turn.
"I know you have suffered a terrible loss, Boromir," Galadriel said. "Your camera, given to you by your father, has fallen into shadow. I know I cannot make up for such a loss, but I will try. And so, to you I give another camera, made by the elves of the Golden Wood. And along with that, I give you five rolls of Elven film."
"Elven film?" Boromir questioned.
"Yes," Galadriel nodded. "It is in color."
Boromir beamed with happiness and no other member of the fellowship was as satisfied with their gift as him; not even Gimli.
"Hmph," Gimli muttered to himself. "Why did I ask for three stupid strands of hair? I could've gotten a brand new axe."

Unfortunately, all ended that fateful day when Boromir suspected Frodo of taking one of his rolls of film.
"It should be mine!" he shouted, chasing after the hobbit. "Give it to me!"
And then the very frightened Frodo put on the Ring and disappeared.
Boromir, realizing the missing roll of film was in his pocket the entire time, cried out, “Frodo! Frodo! Frodo, I’m sorry.”

Not long after, the Uruk Hai came and Boromir was fatally wounded in battle. Aragorn rushed to his side, but Boromir already knew it was too late; his dream of becoming a professional photographer was shattered. And so, he made his decision.
"I pass my duty as photographer to you," he uttered as he gave the camera to Aragorn. "Use the camera, wisely. Do not waste film." And then he died.

Aragorn took the camera and did as Boromir told him. When Gandalf the White arrived he took the film shot in Moria to develop, but Boromir's first camera was wrecked beyond repair (the Elven camera was better, anyway). To this day, Aragorn still uses the camera and was even the photographer for his own wedding (to Arwen’s annoyance). He has become a professional photographer along with becoming king.

-----------------------------------------------