View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Rune, that is how I figured you meant it, and I will refer you to tar-a's post above. "Nonsense" is an extremely loaded word. But I won't pursue it further here.

So for something a little more... pertinent. As I said earlier, I am a Lutheran, as are my parents and my grandparents and my great-grandparents (you get the picture). I can echo Lindo's statement:
Quote:
I'll admit, in my youth I believed only because my parents did: the faith of a child. And now retaining that, I can verify and confirm what I believe through what I have learned.
I love being active in my church, and my faith is definitely part of who I am.

However, that didn't really have much to do with LotR when I read it. In origin, it was another book to read, albeit one I was very excited to read after having read the Hobbit. It was only later that I started drawing out some of the ideas and concepts as they relate to Christianity. What LotR did was bring some resonance to concepts and ideas, give them shape. The two that spring most readily to mind are stewardship, especially as represented by Denethor, and the idea of estel vs. amdir (although I still have yet to read that in context). In the same way, my beliefs have brought richness to my readings of LotR.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote