View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 AM   #609
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't mind weeding, mainly as I have such a small garden there are never many of them, so weedkiller is never an option for me. But in the past I relied on my resident garden toad to kill the snails but I think she has passed on to Toad heaven now. There have been no all night toad shrieks in the mating season, no signs of spawn or eggs. It's quite sad. I doubt hedgehogs would make it into my garden what with the fortress of my next door neighbour and his fifteen kids to get past on one side and a 15 foot drop into the other side of the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
The cheesesteak is an icon of Philadelphia lardy cooking. You take a long roll and put thin sliced grilled beef on it, preferably dripping with grease. Then it's topped with cheese or
Cheese Whiz. Some claim that the true cheesesteak requires Whiz, but I prefer American cheese. Then you can top it with onions and other vegetables.

Tasty!
That sounds fantastically greasy! But kind of nice, too. I remember something like Cheez Whiz in the 80s, a kind of cheddar spread in a jar which my father used to be obsessed with (especially in a sandwich with crisps and peanut butter) but then they stopped selling it. Is Philadelphia Cheese (the lovely mild, low fat cream cheese) anything to do with the City or just an invention of the marketing folk?

Anyway, I assign to the Shire the glorious anachronism that is The Queen's Birthday, a 'bank holiday' we are entitled to take today or on another day if we wish. I am in work and there are only 4 of us here, and its lovely and quiet and I was able to get second breakfast with no wait. What's more, seeing as about 95% of the department are off my e-mail box is being untroubled, as is my phone. It also means I can have my day off when the kids are back at school.