View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #778
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf kindle editions

A funny thing happened to me on my way to a e-trilogy.

So I went to Amazon, because even though I have boxfulls of trilogies, and three or four single-volumes, I carry a Kindle on travel, and wanted an e-copy. I shopped a bit, and found the trilogy for ten bucks. Glee! Even better, it was the 50th anniversary edition. I bought it.

Then I wondered, what about the pricey Rob Inglis audio book I've been wanting for a decade now? It's endlessly checked out at the library, and it's not cheap otherwise, but I hear the chap is really, really good. A downloadable version would be really, really nice. So I looked that up on Amazon.

Wow. About $33 bucks per-- so for the trilogy, nearly a hundred bucks. Zowie.

But then I noticed, according to the leading reviews, it's also available as the Kindle read-along to the audio feature. I forget what they call it, but you buy the text, and then for a few more bucks, you can get a good, professionally read matching audio (not Microsoft Bob) that you can listen to and simultaneously read-along, and the price for that is usually about four bucks. And in this case, for a standard three-book trilogy, for the kindle, the text is just under eight bucks and the read along is just under four bucks. So that's under twelve for the text and the audio-- Times three for the trilogy, $36 -- and you have both the text, and (according to Amazon) the Rob Inglis audio.

For real? That's what it looks like to me. Alas, I had already spent my ten bucks, and I want to keep the 50th anniversary edition-- which, with the subtle changes, doesn't have an audio to go with it yet. And the $36 (over the ten) isn't in my budget this week.

But if anyone else has been hoping for Rob Inglis, $36 doesn't seem like a bad price at all, at all. I may yet do it in a paycheck or two. And I thought I'd pass it on.

Meanwhile, I am in chapter five, just entering The Old Forest. I am very much looking forward to Tom Bombadil.

Cheers! And once again, Happy Birthday, Professor.