View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
I
Thinking a little inductively about the quote as well - what is it about the ocean that makes heaven seem nearer? Is it the ocean specifically, maybe the way the sky touches the horizon? Or is it more a reaction to a specific instance of physical beauty? Because certainly the Legendarium is full of awed or joyful reactions to beauty in creation ("I want to see mountains again, Gandalf" and Frodo delighting in the living wood of Lothlorien are two examples that spring immediately to mind).
There's a mention of the extra pull, as it were, that water has because of Ulmo. Believe it's in the Sil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
"The Last Ship" suggests the song and attraction of the sea has long faded. And "The Sea Bell" is a very complex poem with a unique vision of the sea.
I
Bethberry pondering this some more, I lean more towards that the mortals are feeling unworthy of the world offered...and also its mystery being intimidating. I think Frodo' s dream is more about Frodo being too broken and lost to find his place in reality and society. But it is a society this side of the ocean that he is lost in; he does not yet know how to cross. It's as if darkness and despair still hold him captive.

Last edited by mark12_30; 06-11-2015 at 05:22 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote