View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #908
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fliede and her father wound through the streets of Edoras to the Mead Hall. Before entering the courtyard, he turned toward Fliede and laid his hand on her shoulder. “I will be doing the speaking here, daughter,” he said.

“Yes, father,” she said.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself and start speaking for me in your excitement.”

“Yes, father,” she said again.

“The eorl will not need you to explain to him that I am blind or that I am smarter than I may appear or that he should choose me.” Fliede pressed her lips hard together and nodded firmly. He patted her shoulder gently. “Good. Come along, then.” They started forward, but at that moment, another man stopped them abruptly.

“Excuse me,” he said, making to push past them. Fliede looked upwards, offended.

“Excuse you indeed!” she said sharply. “We were here first, there’s no reason that we should step out of your way.”

“Your father should make way for better men than himself, girl,” the man replied with a disdainful look in her direction. “He’s used to it.” He looked at the blind man’s face and smiled unkindly.

“Oh, yes?” Fliede asked. “And what are you here for?”

“Come to enquire after the position of innkeeper.”

“Really. Have you?” She scowled in disgust, showing her anger clearly, but at the same moment her courage and hope failed slightly. The man was tall, handsome, young, and strong, and if the eorl saw him first, would he even spare a glance for her old father? “Well, I-”

“Hush, Fliede,” her father said. “You’ve spoken enough.” He looked up and cast his eyes in the direction of the stranger. The man laughed and shrugged and went in before them. Fliede and her father followed. They entered the great hall in time to hear the rude man address the gathering there.

“I am seeking for lord Eodwine. Is he here?”