View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #101
rriebsomer
Newly Deceased

rriebsomer has just left Hobbiton.
why is it so difficult

Hi. I'm new here. I have read the Silmarillion more than once. I think it's difficult for lots of reasons. Christopher Tolkien actually put it together from his father's writings posthumously. Professor Tolkien never really finished it.

It's very dark and tragic. It's a complex legendarium beginning with a creation story and a fall out of paradise. There is not as much dialogue.

Tolkien started writing this while in the trenches at the Battle of the Somme in WW I. I'm not sure that it's as mature a creation as the Lord of the Rings.

For me the most interesting story is Beren and Luthien. I found that by reading Unfinished Tales, certain gaps in the legendarium were filled in ie what happened with the necklace the dwarves made for Thingol after he received the Silmaril Beren wrested from the crown of Morgoth.

I think many readers find it pessimistic and would prefer the eucatastrophe of the Lord of the Rings, the happily ever after ending.

I read it because like Frodo I wanted to hear the elder tales. So now when I read the Lord of the Rings and there are references to the First Age, I know exactly what they are talking about.

This is a great question and a great topic for discussion. Thanks for introducing it.