View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #894
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

I warmly recommend Martin's novels to everybody who doesn't mind the huge scale of it or the ugly realism (war happens so people die - even major characters, and people are beaten, raped, robbed, tortured, abused, some freeze to death, innocents are slaughtered and so on). Martin writes really well, his characters grow to unforeseen dimensions and picking favourites or taking sides becomes almost impossible as the saga goes on and the writer is always one step ahead of you so you keep picking up your jaw from the floor. Furthermore, the sort of realism I mentioned - even in all its ugliness - is really refreshing in the fantasy genre, and the world is interesting and carefully constructed.
I'm a bit late to the party but I agree entirely, especially with the bit I've put in bold. I don't think I can remember the last time a novel shocked me in this way. I've become too used to plots being predictable!

I've also read the Patrick Rothfuss novels mentioned earlier and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Estelyn, for what it's worth, I've read all of the Shadowmarch Chronicles. I enjoyed the first two but after my favourite (and in my opinion) the most promising character was killed off, I lost interest a bit. The ending of the final book was also a bit of a trial. Like the ending of the RotK movie it just seemed to go on and on and on...
I actually enjoyed Tad Williams' earlier series 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' much more.

I've recently discovered China Mieville. His books are 'fantasy but not as we know it,' so to speak. Definitely weird and thought provoking. His 'The City and The City' made my brain hurt but was a terrific read for all that!