View Single Post
Old 07-30-2001, 09:47 PM   #74
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: More comments

------------------
Quote:
I would keep the meaning 'fenced', rather than imagine it being interpreted as an Ilkorin (= Northern Sindarin) form as this involves less supposition and no difficulties.
---------------

I would note that Ilkorin = North Sindarin is supposition. I think Mr Fauskanger suggests this as a possibility at Ardalambion. I think it is more likely that Ilkorin sould be equated with the speech of the Laiquendi and Nandor (though this is supposition on my part). VT 42 just came out and it gives some notes on the Sindarin varieties which may indicate that Ilkorin should not be equated with North Sindarin.

Re Elemmakil:
I think 'captain of the Gaurd' is refering to his position as commander of the Dark (or Outer) Gaurd. That is those charged with gaurding the tunnel and Gate of Wood.

Tar-Elenion--------------------- I will come with Fire and Sword, and put your cities to the Torch, your men to the Blade, your women and children in Chains</p>