View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #111
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"Wait!" cried Mithadan. He walked quickly over to the window and pulled the makeshift rope back up. "We cannot flee in broad daylight. Our absence will quickly be discovered and Falasmir will send his men straight to the docks. Even if we were able to cast off, our ship would be overtaken quickly by the corsairs. "

"Then you will simply wait to be seized?" said Rama in astonishment. "I thought to give you at least a fighting chance."

"I did not say that," answered Mithadan. "What you have told us we have long suspected. I would attempt our escape under cover of darkness so that the Star will have at least a chance of evading capture." He rolled up the knotted cloths and hid them in the armoire along with the weapons Rama had brought. Then he turned to his first mate. "We will visit the Star this morning and give Saelon his instructions so that all is ready. Then, this evening we shall evade our guards and attempt to reach the docks."

Airefalas nodded in agreement. "We must give the Star a chance to escape whether we join them or not," he said. "The crew is our first obligation."

"You will risk capture through delay?" Rama asked in surprise. "I assure you that you would not enjoy the slave market."

"I do not doubt that," replied Mithadan. "But we have a plan for our escape. As I said, we already doubted Falasmir. You have merely confirmed our fears... that is if your information is correct."

"You know now what I am," she said indignantly. "Do not doubt that my people have ways of gathering information. My cousin entered Falasmir's chambers and discovered a note outlining the plan to seize you and your ship. Because of your friendship with this Bird, I chose to warn you."

Mithadan looked long into Rama's eyes. She did not flinch but met his gaze evenly and with confidence. He nodded grimly. "I believe you," he said. "Thank you. We are in your debt."

"What is this plan of yours?" she asked.

"It would be best if you did not know," Airefalas interjected. "For your safety and ours."

Mithadan nodded again. "Where are you staying?" he asked. "If we cannot reach our ship, we may be in need of help."

Rama shook her head. "I am staying at the Cat's Paw," she answered. "But I am leaving today."

Mithadan took a deep breath. "I know we ask much," he began. "And we owe you much already. But could you delay your departure one night against the possibility that we encounter difficulties?"