View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #352
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As darkness descended over the plain, all those who could manage to walk made their way to the central firepit to discuss what should be done. Lindir already had several large kettles of soup simmering so that those in attendance could help themselves and carry provisions back to the others in buckets and pots after the meeting was ended.

Although the slavers had been defeated, victory had come at a price. There was protracted discussion in hushed tones about brave friends who had been lost and the many who now lay injured. The latter would require some time to heal before the group could resume its journey northward.

It was Lindir who first suggested that a party of scouts be dispatched to the slavers' camp to retrieve usable supplies: "We would need ten or twelve to ride over," he noted, "They would leave in the morning and get a look at whatever was left behind. Last time we were there I had Aiwendil check. The camp was fairly well provisioned. He turned up stockpiles of food, barrels of ale, and basic items like blankets and tools. All that could be helpful for the journey and even to establish the settlement."

"But how will a small party carry back so much?" Beloan queried. "Plus, there is the danger of running into those who were not killed but ran away from the battle."

Lindir nodded in response. "It is a danger. We'll must travel armed. Still, only a handful of slavers lived to run off, and I don't expect they'll be looking for a fight. But we will need to keep our guard up and also leave some able bodied fighters here to keep an eye on things, just in case. As far as getting things back here, we are in luck. Aiwendil found one large wagon that the slavers had that could be used to transport the supplies. And once those items have been distributed to families or placed in sacks and tied onto the backs of horses, we could use the wagon to help carry anyone who is still gravely injured once we start our northward trek."

Beloan reflected for a moment and added, "We'll need animals then, as many as we can muster. I thought so. There are a number of horses still loose on the plains. I've already had several of my men out searching for them. Those same men will rise early and round up the last of the strays for the use of the scouts. But they won't be coming with us. They will be staying behind to help guard the camp."

"Good planning. Dorran and Athwen also are staying here. Neither of them will be fighting or guarding but, should any problems arise, your men can get with them, to make decisions. Have your men set up a rotating watch on the perimeter just to make sure we get no surprises. As to when the scouts leave, there is no rush. We can take our time getting off. But I don't want to leave that camp sitting unguarded any longer than one night. I'll be riding with the scouting party and you too I hope." Lindir glanced over at Beloan who indicated his agreement. Then the elf looked around the circle and added, "What I need now are volunteers, preferably those who could manage on the back of a horse. Anyone who is gravely wounded must remain behind in camp." Lindir smiled wryly. "Indeed, if Athwen finds out that some of you have dragged yourselves over to this circle, I expect to see her here any minute demanding that you retreat back to your pallets for rest, and frankly she will be right. Before the meeting started, I managed to draft five strong, able bodied fighters who will act as our guard on the trail should any problems arise....Gall, Tomba, Grell, Drindl, and Bor." He nodded in their direction and then added, "But I will need others. I know there are a few of you who would like to come with the scouting party, despite the fact that you bear minor injuries. I will not say no. Right now very few in this camp are totally sound, aside from a handful of women and children who did not fight and managed to avoid the attack in the grove. If you do want to come along, just make sure you have enough strength for the ride. Who then should I add to the list?"

A babble of voiced was quickly raised by those sitting around the circle, some men and women posing questions and others asking to be included among the scouts. Within a short span of time, Lindir has accumulated his list of volunteers, "This looks to be it." he noted, calling out the names of those who had agreed to go, "Azhar, Shae, Johari, Kwell, Qat, along with Beloan and myself, and the five that I already mentioned. That makes twelve in all, which should be enough if things get tight. We'll set the funeral pyre ablaze later tonight and say our goodbyes to our friends. After that, those of you who are going should get a good night's sleep and meet back here by mid-morning when we'll parcel out the horses. The rest of you will have plenty to do while we are gone, helping to tend the sick and prepare things for the road."

Lindir stood up to leave but then hesitated a moment and turned back with one final comment. "Everyone in this camp has much to be proud of. You fought as though you'd been doing it your entire life. As tough as things are now, let's not forget that we've come a long way. If the winds of chance blow fair, we will be moving north and reaching the new settlement in the space of only a few weeks. There is a life waiting ahead, a life you can be proud of, if we can just pull together on the journey."

The elf turned and walked away from the circle, when Azhar ran up to him and tugged on his sleeve, "Lindir, what's happened to Aiwendil? I have not seen him at all since the battle in the grove."

"I am not sure. I wish I knew. But Aiwendil has a way of disappearing and then turning up again, so let's hope that he will do so soon." What Lindir did not tell the young girl was that he could not even sense the istar's expected presence in his mind no matter how hard he searched, a fact that was both puzzling and troublesome.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-22-2007 at 07:41 AM.