View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #12
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Not exactly. Glaurung could paralyze Turin, and cozen him, but there's no indication that he could force him actively to do or say anything.
I nearly posted something along these lines, but then I went and read the Nienor scene in Children of Hurin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Children of Hurin
Strong was the will and heart of Nienor, and she strove against Glaurung; but he put forth his power against her. 'What seek you here?' he said.

And constrained to answer she said: 'I do but seek one Turin that dwelt here a while. But he is dead, maybe.'

'I know not,' said Glaurung. 'He was left here to defend the women and weaklings; but when I came he deserted them and fled. A boaster but a craven, it seems. Why seek you such a one?'

'You lie,' said Nienor. 'The children of Hurin at least are not craven. We fear you not.'

Then Glaurung laughed, for so was Hurin's daughter revealed to his malice.
So it seems that Glaurung at least can compel an answer, though the second exchange suggests that he can't compel a full answer. He tricked Nienor into saying who she was - but prior to that, he forced her to talk to him.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote