View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 05:11 AM   #152
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Quote:
I sometimes have trouble describing things properly. I want to describe things so I'm sure the reader will "see" the place, person etc., but then, I'm a bit afraid of being too describing in my writing, something I think Tolkien overdid a few times. He could use half a page to describe a tree. OK, not exactly true, but you know what I mean, right? If you overdo it, it tends to get boring, and then some ppl will skip through the text and perhaps miss something of importance. I think it can be difficult to find the line. How do you know when it's enough or too much? I mean, I've SEEN the places I write about (in dreams) and I want my reader to see them as well, not to skip pages because my describtions are too thouroughly.
Me too. I started a description and it just went on and on. The stupid thing is it was all necessary to the story, all relevant. If I cut any out the things later on in the story wouldn't make sense. In the end the description was about 3 A4 pages, six sides, that has to be too long!

I really wish I had more time to post now! I have so much to write here but no time! stupid exams, can't some one postpone them by a few months?! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.